Monday, February 25, 2008

Kiwi-Time



One thing we have learned lately is that while in Dunedin you are always on Kiwi-time. This is sort of like when we were in Zuni and were on Indian time...meaning things move at a more relaxed pace. Not so crazy like in the States. Less competition. Less, "the customer is always right."

About 2 weeks ago I purchased a small dining table and chairs from a local department store. It was on super clearance (end of summer sale), and we need somewhere to eat dinner besides the sofa. When I say I purchased it, I mean I paid for it and was told it was coming from another store since this store had already sold out.

We have since been told that it will take an absolute minimum of 10 business days for the dining set to make it to our local store for pick-up. It's coming from Auckland....which is in New Zealand!

I just don't get it. In the States you order something from Kohls or wherever and they get it to you in a day or two. I'm not sure why something coming from what is essentially one state away takes almost a month. Do they put it on a rickshaw?

When we expressed confusion to the guys at the store, we were reminded that "well, you aren't in the States anymore." Yeah, clearly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm....maybe you should take up carpentry.