Thursday, February 7, 2008

foods we haven't the guts to try yet

Yes, Marmite is big here. For those unfamiliar, this is a yeast extract spread supposedly really good on crackers or sandwiches. We'll stick with peanut butter which we can find & tastes surprisingly like it does at home.


The meat-flavored chips. I'm sure we'll eventually try these. Maybe as a starter when we are serving lamb at dinner? Or instead of dinner when you are too busy to cook but really have a taste for beef?


Danny during a home-sick moment got salsa and corn chips. The corn chips tasted just like corn and contained almost no salt. The salsa was like a thick ketsup. Not to be beaten, we used some creative doctoring (cumin, salt, chile pepper), and it came pretty close to resembling a bad salsa. Mexican and Spanish flavors are not popular here. Actually, any rather strong flavors (besides meat chips, I guess) are hard to find here. I am looking forward to moving into the apartment so I can cook more to our liking. We did enjoy the local marinated mussels we had recently -- sort of tasted like squishy pickles.

1 comment:

KN said...

Mmmmmmm...Lamb chips.

Bring some vegemite home for Gretchen.