Monday, April 28, 2008

Sea lions at Sandfly Bay

We had to be careful walking around the sand dunes at Sandfly Bay. Every once in a while we would come upon a sleeping sea lion like the one below. Everyone warns tourists that sea lions are not afraid of humans so don't get too close. Illustrated below is what not to do.


At one point we were walking around one of the huge sand dunes, and I heard a sneeze. I looked up and about 4 feet above me was a large sea lion waking up and looking down at us. It was scary. I backed away pretty fast, but Dan stayed and took these pictures.


We must have woken up this big sea lion sleeping in the sand dune above us.


He noticed Dan and slid down the dune towards him.


And showed off his teeth and smelly breath.


Later, the big sea lion decided to go back to the water for some lunch.

No comments: