Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Going Away Party

Friday, Sept 18th, our friends at the Physio School in Dunedin gave a going-away party. It was spring when we left Dunedin which sort of explains Dan's lavender shirt.

Dan with his PhD supervisors: Paul, Haxby and Clare. This was at the reception at the school. It was wonderful how many people came to say goodbye.

This is when we learned we had become adoptive parents to a little blue penguin. Unfortunately, we were denied custodial rights so we had to leave the little guy in New Zealand.

The party moved to the Staff Club for dinner. There was a lot of wine and speeches during dinner, but I don't think Lexie is actually drinking wine straight from the bottle. Or at least I hope she wasn't.

Dan with the first floor boys - Dan, Ram, & Oz, and Lexie representing the third floor. Some Physio School rivalry, I guess.

I think it's just a hug, but Steve looks like he's knocking Dan around the head or something.

It was a big dinner party, and everyone got to stand up and give a little speech about Dan and me. It was great, although sometimes things got awkward, as they do.

So apparently there is a good reason for this? Something about how the restaurant wouldn't let us take an almost full bottle that was already open? And Cathy looks like she's pointing at Dan's nose for some reason. Obviously, I wasn't here at this point. The camera got passed around a lot that night.
I love this picture. Dan and Craig laughing at something Katie and I probably wouldn't understand. At this point the party had moved to the South Bar - the usual Friday Nights Drink spot while in Dunedin.
At this point, for the sake of everyone involved, I'm going to skip over many, many mostly blurry photos from the evening. This is last rounds at the Al Bar with what remains of the party, namely Dan, Ram, Steve, Susan, Craig & Katie (and me behind the camera). It was a very fun party, and it was great to see everyone one last time before our move.

No comments: