Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sweet as!

Some Kiwi phrases and words are just funny to hear. I still have to remind myself that a zucchini is a courgette here. Don’t ask for a lemonade if you want anything with real lemon in it. Lemonade generally means Sprite or 7UP – the Sprite bottle even says “lemonade” on it. “Tasty Cheese” is popular here, supposedly a sharp chedder cheese; I’m yet to be convinced. A lolly is any kind of candy, not necessarily a lolly-pop.

“Sweet as” is a favorite phrase here meaning “good” or “awesome”.
“How is the skiing around Queenstown?”
“Sweet as.”

The first time I heard this one, I pulled my sweater down in back a bit not realizing what the speaker was referring to. I still laugh whenever I hear it used which is a lot.

Everyone really does say “eh” all the time. Also, “yeah, yeah, yeah” really fast when agreeing with something someone is saying. Both of these aren’t meant to be as annoying as they sound (at least I hope not).

No comments: