Monday, February 2, 2009

Penguins at Victory Beach

Sunday, Jan 25th, Dan and I went to nearby Victory Beach to see the penguins.
To get there you walk through Okia reserve.

The flowers in the sand dunes were very pretty.

Victory beach is a very long beach. Almost no one else was there - it was already late in the afternoon.
Dan and I hide quietly behind this driftwood log and didn't have to wait long to see penguins walking up the beach. The adults spend all day out at sea fishing then come in at sunset to their nests hidden in the sand dunes.

These are the yellow-eyed penguins. These two were doing some elaborate greeting- one came up out of the water, the other from the sand dunes. They ran to each other and started taking turns bobbing their heads. I'll try to post a video of it later...very entertaining.

Another picture of those two. They also were quite loud.

This guy walked right past us. Isn't it beautiful?

Emerging from the sea.


These are the sand dunes they walk up. This is actually one of the chicks -- they can't swim yet because their feathers are still fluffy and not waterproof. They stay at home waiting for the parents to come back. This one ran down the dunes to meet his parent making a lot of little penguin noises. He was actually bigger looking than his parent - fat and fluffy looking. I'm having trouble getting my videos to post to this site, but I will keep trying because the penguin videos are so good.

No comments: