Tuesday, November 25, 2008

happy birthday to me!

Dan & I took a fun railroad trip through the Tieri Gorge on my 30th birthday. This was after he made me french toast and crispy bacon for breakfast.

A birthday gift from Dan, my fishhook greenstone necklace. Greenstone, a kind of jade, is very popular here, and the designs are traditional to the Maori. The fishhook is supposed to provide protection for travel over water among other things.

The train ride was really fun. Lots of scenery without having to drive and it took us into areas that have no road access.

Another viaduct crossing. We saw falcons, lots of sheep and a few wild goats by the river.

It was a good birthday. I wish I could have spent it with everyone back in the States.Still feeling weird about leaving my 20's. 30 seems old, especially here in a college town where everyone else is around 22. Oh, well, how many people get to spend their 30th birthday in New Zealand?

2 comments:

KN said...

Happy Birthday! Now you're old like us...HA HA!

JessyPants said...

You look beautiful, Em. Turning 30 in New Zealand suits you. :) And I did NOT forget your birthday FOR THE RECORD...I totally remembered it the day before and the day of AND the day after. The problem was, every time I remembered, I wasn't anyplace where I could send an email or IM. :( But I sent you good birthday ju-ju across the sea!